Thursday, March 12, 2009

Teiresias, blind yet wise

Teiresias, one of the characters in the play ‘Oedipus Rex’. What is so great about him that he become the topic for my blog? Well, he is said to be a prophet in the play. A prophet must be perfect, yet he is blind. What happen to him? Why was he called prophet if he is blind? What causes his blind? Read further to find out.

I heard that there are two versions that cause his blindness. The first one said that he had seen Athena bathing and later he was curse to be blind. Another one is he was change to a woman by Hera after his stick hit a copulating snakes. After a few years, the same incidents happen and he was changed back to a man. Poor Teiresias. He has to undergo two different lives even though all that happen was an accident. Later he was asked by Hera and her husband about who has more pleasure in sex. Teiresias answered truthfully and because of that he made Hera angry and he was blinded.

Which one of the version is true? I wonder. Can anyone help me to find the truth? I don’t want to be a person without knowledge about Teiresias. I’m begging you. Help me find the truth.

1 comment:

  1. I think Tiresias has the privilege because he is able to live in two different lives. Tiresias (also called Teiresias) was a blind prophet of Thebes, famous for being transformed into a woman for seven years after hitting the snakes with his stick. As a woman, Tiresias became a priestess of Hera, married and had children, including Manto, who also possessed the gift of prophecy. After seven years as a woman, Tiresias again found mating snakes; depending on the myth, either she made sure to leave the snakes alone this time, or, according to Hyginus, trampled on them. As a result, Tiresias was released from his sentence and permitted to regain his masculinity. Actually, not all people have the golden opportunity to experience the same thing as Tiresias. Even though, it is some sort of punishment to Tiresias, but for me I take it as the advantage that only he himself has experienced it. Don’t you think it is AMAZING, Salihan?

    ReplyDelete